Step 1 - Installation Edit
To create maps you will need the Map Creator which contains :
- Map editor Tiled
- Raining Chain's tileset images
- Generic map template
After downloading the Map Creator, extract the .zip and follow the instruction in the README.
Step 2- Creation General Shape (Layer WALL0) Edit
Make sure the grid is set as visible in Tiled. (Ctrl-G)
You can change size via Map -> Resize Map.
Recommended quest map size: 50x50 up to 80x80. Overworld maps must be 80x80.
When designing an overworld map, make sure to include ways to expand the map and places where to place quest-starting npc.
Step 3- Add Shape Decoration (Layer WALL1) Edit
Place stairs on that layer as well. All paths must be at least 2 tiles wide for the player. Paths were combat may occur should be at least 3 tiles wide to prevent monsters getting stuck.
Step 4- Add General Ground (Layer GROUND0) Edit
Grounds with different height must be different.
Grounds with same height must be the same.
Step 5- Add Paths and Water (Layer GROUND1) Edit
Use the Terrain tool in Tiled to automatically draw the borders.
Step 6- Add Non-Walkable Decorations (Layer DECO1) Edit
Make sure non-walkable decorations will not get in the way during battle.
Step 7- Add Walkable Decorations (Layer DECO0) Edit
Step 8- Adding Actors Positions (Layer SPOT) Edit
The SPOT layer is used to position actors in the map.
- 1 tile: The actor is spawned in the middle of the tile.
- 2 tiles: The actor is spawn in the middle of the two tiles. Required when using solid 2x2 actors (ex: blocks, pushable rocks, chest, lever).
- 3+ tiles: Creates a zone (rectangle area). Used by quests. If all the tiles form a line, it can be used to spawn a line of blocks.
For collision to work properly, solid actors must be spawn using two tiles.
2x2 solid actor: Chest, Rock, Lever, Harvestable Rock:
4x5 solid actor: Tree trees:
Line of blocks (for quests):
Every world map should contains:
- Teleporters: (t1,t2,t3...)
- Leave and enter the map: Placed 1 tile away from border.
- Cave and doors: Placed over the first wall tile.
- Monsters (e1,e2,e3...)
- About 3 harvesting plot (a,b,c...)
- A lore book spot (A)
- Do not place enemies near teleporters.
- Do not place enemies in tight paths.